Thursday, December 30, 2010

Needles, Blood, and the Results

Besides calling Oschner's, the hospital in New Orleans, Louisiana, where the operation would take place, the next step was to get blood work done. The reason for the blood work is to test my compatibility with Jonathan, and to see if our blood could cooperate with each other. Jon, Hope (Jon's wife), and I took a small trip to Baton Rouge to the clinic they have. It honestly did not take long to do, but with my fear of blood, needles, and anything else that could possibly make me pass out, it felt more like an hour.

After signing in for the appointment, we took our seat in the waiting room, just to be immediately called to the back. Jon was called first, so Hope and I waited, both freaking each other out, while calming ourselves down. He came out saying they took about 9 viles of blood. That information made me nervous, thinking Seriously? 9? They took that much? What Jon failed to mention, however, was the fact that the nurses told him that Hope and I would be giving much more blood. I walked into the back room they had, just to begin breaking down. I had all the nurses, including Hope, talking me into doing this. I was finally calm enough to sit down, but once the needle was in, the room had already begun to spin. I literally felt the blood draining from my face and my body going cold. Later on, I would hear from doctors that my body does this, and there is nothing I could do about it. Both Hope and I came out of that room unhappily. She was stuck twice because of forgetfulness, and my blood just refused to flow, so it took much longer.

Like I said, it didn't take long, this appointment, but I make things seem more dramatic than they really are. After the visit, I naturally felt weak the rest of the day, but I survived, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment