Thursday, December 30, 2010

Waiting...

After finding out that Hope and I are both matches for Jon, the next process was to make the appointment for the next level of testing. This was decided to be a few days after Christmas. We spent the holiday relaxed, but it was in the back of my mind, knowing that this was pretty much my only chance at being the donor. People thought I was crazy when I refused to drink anything but water, and didn't eat any sweets, but I did this out of precaution, and I'm hoping it will improve my chances.

So on Monday, we packed up, my mom, dad, little brother and I, and we headed for the big NOLA. Getting there was the easy part, but once we arrived, it became an extremely intimidating building. The difficult part that day was using the rest room because of my 24 hour urine test, which I had to pee in so they could check the levels, I suppose. It was not pleasant whatsoever, and I remember being extremely excited when that was over. The first appointment we had on Tuesday was at 7:30 in the morning, and it was a lab. This means that they were taking my blood...again. She stuck me in my left arm, and I felt like she was purposefully trying to make me sick by holding the small tubes that contained my blood in front of our faces, one by one. She wasn't very nice, either.

Next, I was thankful that my next appointments were just to meet with people, such as the donor coordinator and such. The rest of the day included the obgyn, chest X-ray, and a nuclear test, which was basically an ultra sound of my kidneys. They stuck me once more in my left arm, and an iv was put in my hand. That was painful, and it left a bruise.

Total, I had about 8 things that day, and I felt rushed between it all. Wednesday was a bit calmer...for the most part. My first test was the EKG. It took me longer to undress than it did for the actual test. The next three were meeting with my social worker, donor advocate, which I consider my personal lawyer, and the actual surgeon. Talking with those three people were eye openers, but it made me more confident for the surgery. The last test for the entire process was the CT scan of my abdomen. They inserted another needle in my left arm. This was the most unpleasant because when they gave me the iodine through the needle, I felt the cold travel up my arm, and could feel it being rushed into my neck. It gives you the sensation that you need to pee on yourself. I went through this machine that tells you when to breathe and when you need to hold your breath. Then the doctor came back and gave me a little bit more iodine, but this time, I really thought I peed on myself, thank god I didn't. I think I had a reaction because my heart was racing and pumping, and my breathing was becoming struggled. I was finished and got off the table, and I couldn't stop shivering. I sat down feeling numb and of course, had to pee once again.

Having everything done, I know I'm going through with it all to give my brother another chance at life. I'm scared, nervous, anxious, and completely ready. I feel like superwoman or something.

Now, our jobs are to wait and see the results of the test, and pray that I passed through the councilors with a positive note.

1 comment: